Monday, August 4, 2008

Databases Part Deux: The Reckoning

There were many things about MySQL that I found conceptually difficult. Overall, I believe this module has been the hardest one yet. The most difficult aspect of this module is a tie between 1) having to watch so many video tutorials and 2) the sheer amount of new linguistic/mathematic syntax rules and commands we needed to master in such a compact lesson. My eyes started to blur after watching so many of the tutorials back to back, which couldn't be helped because unlike reading assignments, which I can just print out and work on anywhere, I have a limited amount of time I can budget in my busy schedule to sit down and watch (and try to comprehend) hours of fast paced tutorials. There is absolutely no way I would have been able to actually follow along on the virtual machine with the tutorial, as I think was suggested, given the short timeframe. Conceptually, all the new material was difficult. I have no prior experience with MySQL per se. I have learned about some aspects of Boolian logic for using wildcards in searching online databases, presumably since they have SQL beneath them. However, I've never built a database or had to use one consciously so this was all Greek to me. I am relieved that the next module is more reading intensive and centered on a less technical topic. I look forward to learning more about project management.

No comments: