Sunday, June 1, 2008

Ubuntu and adventures in myriad downloads

A big part of my class this summer is setting up a Linux-based server-client, aka a LAMP server. LAMP is a computer speak acronym that represents a combination of popular and effective open-source software applications designed to create a server-client, namely--Linux (an operating system), Apache (server software), MySQL (database software), and PhP/Perl/Python (programming languages.

For this week we were supposed to download the Linux-based operating system. Computer experts and users come together to build and trouble-shoot various Linux-based OS platforms that go by different names. We are working with "Ubuntu"--it's an African word meaning "humanity toward others." Neat.

So I was able to successfully download both the desktop and server editions of Ubuntu 8.04 and copy the ISO images to burned CD-Rs. I was glad that I was able to boot the OS from my disk drive, something I had never tried before and I had to consult my owner's manual about. So far so good.

However, I've had a heck of a time trying to successfully download the last piece of software for this week. It's called VMware and it will allow me to run a "virtual machine" on my computer using the Ubuntu OS. I've gotten so close--once at 95% and another at 97%--but it always ends up freezing. I must have tried 30 or so times with mixed results. My network connection is stable and I have plenty of HD space, so I don't know what the problem is. Hopefully I can get this settled soon enough. I think I'll try to download it to my external HD at work tomorrow and see if that helps.

Another aspect of our Ubuntu assignment was to troll around in the Ubuntu user forum, in a specially designated "Absolute Beginner Talk" section. I spent some time looking through the most recent posts on the first page for awhile. Then I decided to do a search for "VMware" and see if I could find any help regarding my problem downloading the this software. I got 8 pages of results. Nothing posted was able to help me resolve my specific problem. Alot of it was geared toward another Linux-based OS called "Xubuntu". Someone was having trouble installing VMware in Xubuntu and he got replies suggesting that he use "virtualbox" instead because it is generally a lot easier to use. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=806883&highlight=VMware

Maybe I'll find out more about this later. Perhaps it could be an alternative to VMware if I can't get it to work.

No comments: