Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ubuntu Server 8.04 install

I did it! Thanks to our instructor Bruce Fulton's Youtube videos that provided detailed step-by-step instructions, I was able to install Ubuntu Server on VMWare Workstation. I came into the class unsure about whether my computer was going to be powerful enough to handle all the downloads and run the software properly with only 760 MB RAM instead of the recommended 1GB RAM, but so far so good. I hit a snag early on in the installation process with VMWare Workstation. I got an unusual error message when I tried to start a new virtual machine session: "Unable to open kernel device "\\.\vmx86": The operation completed successfully. Did you reboot after installing VMware Workstation? Failed to initialize monitor device." But after I posted it to the "Activity" section of the course discussion board, Bruce recommended I re-install VMware and select the "repair" option. It worked and I was able to proceed with the rest of the installation instructions. I have an older Pentium M chip, so I also had to take some extra steps to make the Ubuntu installation work using the third Youtube video, but the instructions guided me through fine.

I don't have much experience in performing complicated download and installation steps or trouble-shooting sophisticated programs. I'm used to the "plug and play" software models where Install Wizards do all the work for you. However, I'm starting to get used to performing these new tasks. The resources we have for the class--the video tutorials, the discussion boards, and shared experiences from classmates--are very helpful. My usual frustration and uneasiness with technology trouble-shooting is slowly giving way to more patient, exploratory approaches where I am better able to cope with the inevitable glitches and hangups that go along with making technology work for individual systems setups. I'm starting to feel more empowered from this class and that seems like a very good thing, especially since this is probably only the tip of the iceberg in terms of the rest of the programs we will need to configure for this class to get the the LAMP server up and running.

No comments: